The condenser is a heat exchanger that allows the transformation of vapour into liquid (liquefaction or condensation), on a surface kept cold using a refrigerant.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF CONDENSERS
Condensers can be distinguished into two main types: air-cooled and water-cooled.
Air-cooled condensers are generally tubular heat exchangers. The tubes used are fairly thin (one centimeter in diameter) and have a triangular or square pitch, making it possible to limit the pressure drop. Two types of air-cooled condensers exist in refrigeration systems:
- Natural convection air-cooled condensers: the air circulates by natural convection around the shell.
- Forced convection air-cooled condensers: the air circulates in a forced manner, by the action of a fan. This type of mechanism is most commonly used in air conditioning systems.
A water-cooled condenser operates by cooling the refrigerant with water in a heat exchanger. The water and the refrigerant are then strictly independent and hermetic.
This type of condenser is mainly found on chilled water systems and on air-to-water or water-to-water heat pumps.
The different types of water-cooled condensers available in refrigeration systems are:
- The double tube condenser: this is a shell and tube heat exchanger made up of two superimposed and spirally wound tubes; the refrigerant then circulating in the central tube and water in the second. In order for the heat exchange to be as efficient as possible, fluids circulate in counter-current.
- The shell and coil condenser: this heat exchanger consists of a tank in which the refrigerant circulates and in which a coil containing the cooling water is installed.
- The shell and tube condenser is a refrigeration condenser reserved for large industrial cooling units. The refrigerant circulates inside the tubes, in a design that allows cleaning when it becomes fouled, and condenses outside the tubes.
- Brazed plate condenser: this plate heat exchanger is intended for low and medium capacity machines operating with new refrigerants (R407C and R410A).
QUIRI, EXPERT IN THE DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE OF SHELL AND TUBE HEAT EXCHANGERS
Quiri Thermal Exchanges is an expert in the design and manufacture of shell and tube heat exchangers (evaporative condenser, steam condenser, liquid or oil cooler and more), pressure tanks and heat exchanger parts. Recognised for many years by the major players in the fields of industrial refrigeration, chemicals and even oil and gas, Quiri is able to supply the most efficient and economically optimised industrial heat exchangers. Please do not hesitate to contact our experts for any information about our products.
Return to Glossary Home Page
Return to Quiri Thermal Exchanges Home Page